Legal and Compliance Officer
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of the dynamic and stimulating environment at the Electricity Authority. This medium sized crown entity is delivering on its mandate to promote competition in, reliable supply by, and efficient operation of, the electricity industry for the long term benefit of consumers. Work undertaken is of national importance and is completed to high standards in a collaborative environment.
You will be assisting the Compliance team to discharge the Authority’s statutory functions to monitor, investigate and enforce compliance with the Electricity Industry Act, regulations made under the Act, and the Electricity Industry Participation Code. You will also assist the Legal team to provide high quality and professional advice and support to the Authority.
Your contribution will include assisting with
- processing breaches of the Act, regulations and Code
- writing reports to the Authority’s Compliance Committee
- assisting with compliance investigations and enforcement
- secretariat support to the Compliance Committee
- maintaining all Authority registers, including contracts, delegations, and conflicts of interest
- OIA requests
This is a varied role in a small team which will require a high degree of personal organisation together with an ability to communicate effectively by expressing matters succinctly and clearly, both orally and in writing. The role would ideally suit a legal executive or a recent law graduate looking for an opportunity in the electricity industry.
You are also likely to have
- experience in legal, compliance and regulatory matters
- the presence and experience to engage at board level and to develop working relationships with board members
- the ability to understand complex technical data
- experience of board and committee support processes including minute taking
- a law degree or legal executive qualification
- advanced level Word, Excel, PowerPoint and diary management ability.
Adviser - Retail and Network Markets
- Stimulating environment
- Development opportunities
- Impact on issues of national importance
The Retail and Network Markets team at the Electricity Authority is part of the Market Design group. It is involved in the planning and delivery of projects to enable the retail, distribution and transmission elements of the New Zealand electricity industry to operate in a manner that promotes competition in, reliable supply by, and efficient operation of, the electricity industry for the long term benefit of consumers.
In this role you will undertake regulatory analysis of potential market failure and scope for efficiency improvements in the retail, distribution and transmission sectors. You will draft board and consultation papers and manage consultation processes.
Your relationship management skills will be applied to a range of interactions with stakeholders, and may require management of conflicting viewpoints. You will need to be highly organised and attentive to quality, completing work in a timely and systematic way.
A tertiary qualification in economics, business, engineering or a related discipline is required, as is a proven track record of producing high quality written advice, underpinned by rigorous quantitive and qualitative analysis. Industry knowledge would be desirable but is not essential.
This page is related to: About the Authority.