Market Design Group
The Market Design Group is responsible for leading the Authority's regulatory strategy.
John Rampton - General Manager Market Design
Mr Rampton brings an extensive background in development of energy-sector policy and a mix of regulatory, commercial and technical skills to the role of GM Market Design.
Before joining the Authority, Mr Rampton was Manager, Industry Governance and Policy at Vector, with responsibility for developing the company's responses to electricity and gas regulation. Prior to that, as Director of System Policy at the Ministry of Research, Science and Technology, he had performance planning and management responsibility for funding and investment processes.
Mr Rampton's earlier roles include acting as Chief Advisor, Fuels and Crown Resources at the Ministry of Economic Development from 2004 - 2007 and being Senior Industry Advisor, Energy and Industry Development for the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Western Australia from 1999 - 2004.
A Masters graduate with first class honours in geology from Victoria University, Mr Rampton worked initially as a data engineer on oil rigs,having previously completed a BCA in economics and finance.
The Market Design Group's responsibilities include:
- developing the regulatory policy for the retail market, including metering, reconciliation, switching and consumer-related matters;
- developing the regulatory policy for the wholesale market, including pricing, trading arrangements and clearing and settlement;
- promoting to consumers the benefits of comparing and switching retailers;
- developing transmission pricing arrangements;
- developing and monitoring distribution pricing principles and guidelines;
- managing the Authority's Retail, Transmission and Wholesale Advisory Groups and any of their subsidiary working groups, including the provision of secretariat support; and
- undertaking ministerial inquiries.