Medically dependent & vulnerable consumers
Requirements of the Guideline
The Guideline on the arrangements to assist vulnerable consumers and the Guideline on arrangements to assist medically dependent consumers puts in place an enhanced process around disconnections for non-payment, including a range of requirements that retailers should meet before a disconnection can take place.
The requirements include:
- regular communication to all consumers on their payment options
- arranging debt recovery in a time-frame that avoids an adverse credit situation for the retailer and minimises hardship for the consumer
- ensuring consumers enter into the most appropriate contracts for their needs
- providing consumers the opportunity to identify themselves as potentially vulnerable
- consultation with the Ministry of Social Development to assist vulnerable consumers unable to pay
- a visit to a consumer's home before the final disconnection takes place.
Paragraphs 18 and 19 of the 2004 GPS required the Electricity Commission to develop arrangements for the benefit of low income consumers (now a subset of vulnerable consumers). These were first published in November 2005, substantially reviewed in July 2007, updated in 2008 and reviewed during 2009. As a result of the 2009 review, the Commission split the arrangements into two Guidelines and produced fact sheets for medically dependent consumers and vulnerable consumers.
Paragraph 44 of the May 2009 GPS required the Commission to monitor compliance with the Guidelines. The annual review usually takes place in the October-December period. Ad hoc issues notified to the Commission were followed up as and when required. Monitoring compliance is now the responsibility of the Authority.
Compliance with the Authority guidelines on arrangements to assist medically dependent and vulnerable consumers
Compliance-Authority-guidelines-arrangements-assist-mdvc.PDF | pdf | 83 KB | Last Changed: 02/07/2012 3:07pm
Guideline-on-Arrangements-to-Assist-Vulnerable-Consumers.pdf | pdf | 125 KB | Last Changed: 24/03/2011 4:34pm
vc-factsheet.pdf | pdf | 142 KB | Last Changed: 07/12/2010 2:31pm
guidelines-low-income-30Jan08.pdf | pdf | 74 KB | Last Changed: 07/12/2010 2:31pm
Guideline-on-Arrangements-to-Assist-Medically-Dependent-Consumers.pdf | pdf | 239 KB | Last Changed: 24/03/2011 4:34pm
mdc-factsheet.pdf | pdf | 97 KB | Last Changed: 07/12/2010 2:31pm
Genesis-Energy-response-compliance-with-MDC-guidelines.pdf | pdf | 6.2 MB | Last Changed: 14/09/2012 3:18pm
Authoritys-response-to-Genesis-Energy-letter.pdf | pdf | 134 KB | Last Changed: 14/09/2012 3:17pm
This page is related to: Consumer Information.