Implementation of demand-side bidding and forecasting
The objective of DSBF is to capture the benefits of central load forecasting, while also facilitating demand-side price response through improving the bidding process.
- “conforming” and “non-conforming” grid exit points (GXPs);
- central forecasting of demand at conforming GXPs;
- changes to bid processes;
- a rolling 36-hour schedule period;
- new price-responsive and non-response schedules (PRS and NRS) which will replace the pre-dispatch schedule (PDS), security dispatch schedule (SDS), special winter schedule (SWS), schedule of dispatch prices and quantities (SDPQ); and
- significant changes to interfaces with the wholesale information and trading system (WITS).
DSBF results in changes to market systems provided by Transpower, as system operator (SO), and by NZX, as the wholesale information and trading system (WITS) service provider. Changes were also required to industry participants' systems.
For an introduction to the changes that DSBF will bring we recommend that you review the presentations from the October 2011 implementation forum.
The Authority's role for DSBF
The Authority's role for the DSBF implementation project was to:
- ensure the requirements placed on the market operation service providers are contracted for and delivered to agreed timelines and quality;
- develop and manage a communications plan designed to ensure that communications with industry participants are effective;
- keep stakeholders informed of the DSBF implementation timeline and progress against the timeline;
- provide information and education to industry participants to assist them in meeting the new DSBF requirements by 28 June 2012;
- co-ordinate testing with participants; and
- monitor industry readiness for the commencement of DSBF.
Key DSBF implementation activities are outlined in the following table
|1||DSBF Implementation Communications Plan||September 2011||Completed|
|2||Participant implementation forum||12 October 2011||Completed|
|3||SO system development||July 2011 - November 2011||Completed|
|4||WITS system development||September 2011 - May 2012||Completed|
|5||Procurement of Electricity Authority's Test Manager||October 2011 - November 2011||Completed|
|6||Consultation on consequential changes to SO Policy Statement and Procurement Plan||December 2011 - January 2012||Completed|
|7||SO system testing||November 2011 - March 2012||Completed|
|8||WITS system testing||January 2012 - May 2012||Completed|
|9||NZX-SO interface testing||January 2012 - February 2012||Completed|
|10||Participant implementation forum||15 February 2012||Completed|
|11||Participant testing (end-to-end and UAT)||March 2012 - May 2012||Completed|
|12||Industry Familiarisation Phase (IFP)||14 May 2012 - 22 June 2012||Completed|
|13||Conforming and non-conforming GXPs published||May 2012||Completed|
|14||SO and NZX system audits||May 2012 - June 2012||Completed|
|15||System acceptance||June 2012||Completed|
|16||DSBF go-live||Thursday 28 June 2012||Completed|
|17||Project closure||July 2012||Completed|
WITS Automation Manual
The process and mechanisms used to automate the transfer of data from WITS are documented in the WITS Automation Manual. The manual outlines the timeline of events and the design, interfaces and features of the automation system.
The version of the WITS Automation Manual that has been updated for DSBF changes will be available from the Authority's website during project implementation. After DSBF has gone live on 28 June 2012, the final version of the WITS Automation Manual containing the changes for DSBF will be published on WITS.
DSBF-Transition-Arrangements.pdf | pdf | 109 KB | Last Changed: 20/06/2012 11:32am
WITS-DSBF-Screen-Guide-v1.0.pdf | pdf | 1.3 MB | Last Changed: 28/05/2012 9:36am
DSBF-Implementation-FAQ.pdf | pdf | 45 KB | Last Changed: 04/05/2012 2:29pm
WITS-Difference-Bids-v1.1.pdf | pdf | 62 KB | Last Changed: 09/03/2012 2:53pm
DSBF-Participant-Test-Strategy.pdf | pdf | 181 KB | Last Changed: 01/03/2012 6:14pm
DSBF-Appendix-A-Core-Test-Scenarios.pdf | pdf | 154 KB | Last Changed: 02/03/2012 8:41am
DSBF-Implementation-Communications-plan.pdf | pdf | 46 KB | Last Changed: 07/11/2011 5:22pm