Vision, values, mission
Our vision is to be a world-class electricity regulator, delivering long-term benefits for consumers and contributing to the New Zealand economy.
We support the development of each other and work together to achieve our goals.
We are decisive, forward thinking and not afraid to do the right thing.
We are committed to producing the highest-quality work.
We are transparent in our work and listen to others.
We are honest and trustworthy and treat everyone with fairness and respect.
We promote competition, reliable supply and efficient operation of the market for the long-term benefit of consumers.
The New Zealand electricity market is widely regarded as one of the world's most competitive, efficient and reliable in reducing barriers to entry, expansion and exit, facilitating consumer participation, providing efficient price signals and promoting flexibility and resilience.
We work to ensure:
- consumers have a variety of suppliers and products to choose from within a highly innovative and competitive retail sector
- the electricity market efficiently meets the country's future electricity needs - the incentives to invest in generation and manage electricity consumption reliably deal with dry spells and other supply shortages.
- prices for electricity are consistent with workable competition at all locations and all times
- our engagement and communication with all stakeholders is clear and consistent, enabling greater understanding of the market and its development
- the electricity market has a high level of credibility - both nationally and internationally - giving stakeholders confidence
- market arrangements support innovation and investment.