For help or further information
- Medically dependent on electricity? Tell your electricity retailer as soon as possible. Most retailers have an 0800 number that you will find on your latest bill or in the phone book
- Power gone off or faulty? Call your electricity retailer
- Having difficulty paying your electricity bill? Call your electricity retailer
- Do you have a complaint about your electricity retailer that can't be resolved? Contact the independent electricity and gas complaints Commissioner:
- Power line down? Don't touch it! Call emergency services on 111 in an emergency. Otherwise, please contact your electricity provider.
- Strategic policy for the electricity sector is set by the Government with policy advice and support provided by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
- The Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA) is administered by the Ministry for the Environment
- The Commerce Commission has a pricing regulation function for Transpower and lines companies
- Planning of the transmission network is carried out by Transpower, a state-owned company
- The gas industry has a co-regulatory arrangement under the Gas Industry Company Limited
- The Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA) is the agency responsible for leading strategy for energy efficiency and conservation. This includes the electricity efficiency initiatives previously undertaken by the Electricity Commission.
- Electricity and Gas Complaints website - an independent resolution service for complaints
- Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority website
- The New Zealand Energy Data File covers energy statistics including supply and demand by fuel types, energy balance tables, pricing information and international comparisons
- Powerswitch website - assess which power company and pricing plan best suits you
- RightLight website - facts about energy efficient lighting
- System operator website - the outlook for security of supply in the New Zealand electricity system.
This page is related to: About the Authority.