Make a complaint about your power company

Issue with your power company?

If you're unhappy with your power company's service, you need to contact your power company to explain the problem and what you would like them to do. Each power company has a complaints process.

You will find contact details for your power company on their website and your electricity bill, along with how to register a complaint.

If you aren't sure who you power company is, find out by searching on Your meter.

If your power company doesn’t resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, you can take it to Utilities Disputes. They provide a free, independent and fair utilities dispute resolution service. You can make a complaint via their complaints form, by live chat, email or phone 0800 223 340.

If you don’t want to take your complaint to Utilities Disputes, you can take it to the Disputes Tribunal.

Issue with the Electricity Authority?

If you believe you have an issue with the Electricity Authority, please contact us. We're happy to resolve any issue that relates to us.

Support with your power

There are the following services that can provide support with your power:

  • MoneyTalks - is a free and confidential helpline that can connect you with financial mentors and other community services.

  • Winter energy payment - if you're ill or have a disability, you can apply for help from the Government with the cost of heating your home over the winter months. What you can get depends on your circumstances and also your income and assets.

  • Warmer Kiwi Homes - is a Government programme offering insulation and heater grants to low-income home owners. Grants can cover up to 80% of the total cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation and Up to 80% of the cost of an approved heater. Check if you're eligible.

  • EECA (Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority) - promotes energy efficiency to reduce carbon emissions and help save you money on your energy bills. Energy-saving tips can be found on Genless.