Our strategy and priorities
We're working with the sector to enable decarbonisation to support the decarbonisation of other industries, electrify the economy and achieve a net zero carbon future.
On this page —
Our strategic ambitions
Our strategic ambitions are agreed with the sector. They're ambitious to match the fast pace of change in the sector and help innovation flourish:
- We want consumer centricity to guide regulation and the industry
- We want low-emissions energy to electrify the economy
- We want to build trust and confidence in the industry for all stakeholders
- We want to see thriving competition delivering better outcomes for New Zealanders
- We want to see innovation flourishing.
See our Statement of intent 2021-25 for how we will achieve our strategic ambitions and our Annual corporate plan 2022/23 for our planned activities against our strategic ambitions.
New Zealand has committed to transition to net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. The government has committed to reaching net zero for long-lived gases by 2050, set a target that 50% of total energy consumption will come from renewable sources by 2035, and has an aspirational target of 100% renewable electricity by 2030.
To achieve these targets, Aotearoa will require large quantities of new renewable electricity generation, increased use of distributed energy resources, new ways to participate and more participants. It will change the dynamics of the electricity system and markets.
It's our priority to ensure that the low-emissions transition is as efficient as possible while maintaining energy security, system adaptability, and affordability for all New Zealanders. Our priorities are:
- Available low-carbon electricity that makes the most of renewable resources. Consumers have more opportunity to participate in the generation of electricity, and New Zealand is powered by electricity that benefits us and protects our environment.
- Accessible electricity that supports the uptake of new technology and diverse electricity use. Consumers have access to reliable electricity across Aotearoa and feel empowered to invest in new technology.
- Affordable electricity that is underpinned by a competitive market. Consumers understand how to make the most of their electricity use and know how to get the best price deal appropriate to their needs.
- Ample and reliable electricity that provides trust and confidence in security of supply. Consumers have confidence in the supply of electricity in New Zealand through reliable and responsive generation.