Join our common quality technical group
- Low emissions
We’re seeking nominations to join our Future Security and Resilience (FSR) Common Quality Technical Group.
The purpose of this group will be to advise the Electricity Authority as we carry out our review of the common quality requirements in Part 8 of the Electricity Industry Participation Code 2010 (Code).
Common quality is an inherently technical and complex subject and requires a breadth of knowledge across the operation of transmission and distribution networks, as well as the operation of generation and demand-side management technologies.
Changes to Part 8 could have a significant impact on the way the Code is applied, and we want to ensure any decisions we make are well-informed, reflect the needs of the industry, and enable innovation into the future.
The technical group will be working on an ad hoc basis alongside our FSR team.
We’re looking for experienced people with specialised knowledge in the following areas:
- power systems engineering and analysis
- the operation of generation, transmission and distribution networks, including power quality (frequency, voltage, harmonics) and factors that influence power quality such as inertia and system strength;
- generation technologies
- demand-side management technologies
- the operation of the wholesale electricity market
- the economic and other impacts on consumers, industry participants, and other stakeholders from the decisions and actions of parties who influence common quality.
If this sounds like you, make sure to send through your nomination by emailed to email@example.com by 30 May 2023.
Any organisation or individual can make nominations. Nominations are to be in writing and should include:
- a brief summary of the relevant expertise and experience of the person being nominated
- contact details for both the person being nominated, and for the individual or organisation making the nomination
- evidence that the person being nominated agrees to the nomination (eg, an email from the nominee agreeing to be nominated).
Nominations should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with ‘Nomination for FSR Common Quality Technical Group’ in the subject by 5pm Tuesday 30 May 2023.
We intend to appoint the members of the technical group by 23 June 2023. The first meeting for the group is anticipated to take place by 31 July 2023.
Part 8 common quality requirements consultation
We're also currently in open consultation on Part 8 of the Code’s common quality requirements. We have published an issues paper and welcome feedback from interested parties. Submissions close on 30 May 2023.
Solar generation now and in the future
There is currently around 270 MW of installed solar generation in New Zealand. This adds up to about the same capacity of a coal or gas fired Rankine generatio…
Reminder for retailers – smart meters
This is a notice for retailers to remind your call centres that customers must not be advised that the Electricity Authority, or the Electricity Industry Parti…
Join our event - Leading through the energy transition
On Wednesday 7 June, Mana Wāhine and the Electricity Authority Te Mana Hiko will co-host a panel discussion with some of our leading wāhine. Join us and hear f…