Authority welcomes MBIE investigation into electricity supply interruptions of 9 August 2021
The Electricity Authority welcomes the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s (MBIE) report ‘Investigation into electricity supply interruptions of 9 August 2021’ commissioned by the Minister of Energy and Resources following the 9 August electricity cuts.
We have been communicating regularly with MBIE as part of its investigation while continuing to progress our own pieces of work in relation to the 9 August event.
We are considering the recommendations made in the report and will respond to MBIE as soon as possible. The Authority will discuss the recommendations with Transpower to ensure a comprehensive and cohesive response.
The Authority already has work underway that responds to some of the recommendations, including:
- working closely with Transpower following the 9 August event and monitoring its response to the Authority’s phase one review which found shortcomings in the system operator’s tools and communication protocols,
- ongoing improvements to the management of the market operation service providers, including Transpower,
- the implementation of new consumer care guidelines, plus additional resources to support participant and consumer understanding of the guidelines, and
- improving our communication with participants and consumers with a focus on education
- ensuring the electricity system remains secure and resilient in the coming decades as part of our future security and resilience project.
You can read MBIE’s report on its website(external link).
Consultation on a draft determination of causer for under-frequency event
We are seeking your feedback on the draft determination of causer for an under-frequency event (UFE) on 24 January 2023. The normal frequency band in New Zeala…
Decision to clarify responsibility for retailer obligations
We've amended two clauses in the Electricity Industry Participation Code to clarify retailers’ obligations and enable a multiple trading relationship trial. We…
New dispensation scheme for Part 6A of the Code
The Electricity Authority has amended the Electricity Industry Participation Code 2010 (Code) to introduce a new dispensation scheme for specified persons who …